by Andrew Pacholyk MS L.Ac ~
Detoxifying is the process of releasing accumulated toxins and waste products that build up throughout our system. From birth, we are bombarded by toxins, externally from environmental sources. Internally, our organs give off waste products that accumulate in our body. Imbalanced emotions also play a part in polluting our system with excess chemicals such as free radicals, homocysteine and cortisol.
Detoxifying is, in many ways, an easy process. Our body does much of the detoxification process through urination, defecation and perspiration. As our bodies age and our immune systems weaken from illness, poor diet and/or addictive substances, we sometimes need to give our system an extra helping hand. That is why conscious detoxing is great way back to optimum health.
One of the best ways to start your detoxification is with the body’s biggest organ, the SKIN. A detox diet strengthens the organs involved in detoxification and
releases stored toxins, expelling them through the organs of elimination: the skin, as well as the intestines, liver, lungs, kidneys, and lymphatic system.
TIPS FOR DETOXING
1. Eating a diet that focuses on fresh vegetables and fruits.
2. Eat whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds.
3. Adopt a healthy lifestyle including regular exercise.
4. Avoiding drugs and alcohol.
5. Taking a high potency multiple vitamin and mineral supplement.
6. Take nutritional/herbal supplements to protect and enhance liver function.
7. Go on a three day fast, four times per year.
8. Fasting at the change of the seasons is a good rule to remember.
9. Take care of your skin and know your skin type.
10. Consider a self empowering affirmation to clear your mind.