-excerpt from Andrew Pacholyk’s: The Complete Feng Shui Journal
Clearing out space is the first step in freeing yourself from the burdens that surround you!
The first lesson is to start small!
Start with your desk, a closet, or one room. It is easy to get overwhelmed when deculttering. Do not allow it.
1. I love to clear the space of everything. Take a look at the empty space. Ahhh… Remember when this last occurred? How do you feel in this space now?
2. Take a look at the items you removed. One by one, look over each and every item. Do you absolutely love it? How does it serve you? Is there an emotional attachment to it? Is it a good one or a bad one?
3. Items with bad emotions connected to them or items you do not absolutely love or serve you, get rid of them now!
4. The items that you do love, why is it? How well does it serve you or play a particular purpose? If you save it, find a great place for it, where it will do the most good.
5. Make a pile, box or space for all the items you do not need, want or do not serve you. You can separate them into smaller piles to give them away, gift them or sell them. Throw out the items you wish to discard ASAP. There is an amazing feeling attached to an item (or emotion) we let go of!!
6. Note on giving or gifting items: Charities such as the Salvation Army, shelters or churches are usually very happy to take the items you wish to give them. They usually prefer clothes to be cleaned or dry cleaned. The items you decide to gift should be something very special to a specific person who you feel would really love the item or could really benefit from it. Do not just gift it to get rid of it. It is better to just throw it out if you cannot find an appropriate outlet for it!
7. The power of letting go offers the possibility of two types of peace: peace of mind – the potential healing of old emotional connections, wounds, or a clearer consciousness and peace with others – the possibility of new, more gratifying relationships in the future.
8. It takes no strength to let go. . . only courage. Life either expands or contracts in direct proportion to your courage to let go.
By giving this fear up to the Universe to handle, you are essentially allowing yourself to let go and release this fear, and in turn, strip away any kind of meaning or significance it may have upon you.
By letting go, this allows us to move to the next level in our lives, the next natural process. Often times, this is a fear in itself. The fear of “what will happen when I DO move to my next stage in life?” Feeling protected always comes by letting go of the fear.