by Andrew Pacholyk MS, L.Ac. ~
Candles are beautiful to look and wonderful to smell, but can be a cause of many home fires and home fire deaths. Utilize these simple and common sense tips to make sure you and your family enjoy these great mood enhancers! Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.
1. Please observe the following safety tips whenever you use candles.
2. Always keep a burning candle within sight.
3. Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire.
4. Keep burning candles out of the reach of children and pets.
5. Always extinguish all candles before leaving the house.
6. Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
7. Trim wicks to 1/4 inch prior to each use unless the instructions tell you to do otherwise. This helps regulate the flame height and can reduce smoking.
8. Always use an appropriate candle holder place on a stable, heat-resistant surface.
9. Keep burning candles away from drafts. This can alter the candles performance, burn time and keeps the wax burning evenly.
10. Extinguish the flame if it comes too close to the holder or container, typically when 1 – 2 inches of wax remains for most candles and 1/2 inch for container or jar candles.