by Andrew Pacholyk MS. L.Ac ~
On August 7, 2017, a Partial Lunar Eclipse will occur. A partial lunar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes through the Earth’s partial shadow, or penumbra, and only a portion of it passes through the darkest shadow, or umbra. During this type of eclipse a part of the Moon will darken as it moves through the Earth’s shadow.
The eclipse will be visible throughout most of eastern Africa, central Asia, the Indian Ocean, and Australia.
This full moon was known by early Native American tribes as the Full Sturgeon Moon because the large sturgeon fish of the Great Lakes and other major lakes were more easily caught at this time of year. This moon has also been known as the Green Corn Moon and the Grain Moon. AND…
A lunar eclipse brings up memories, reoccurring dreams and powerful emotions. A lunar eclipse of the moon can help us to anticipate major changes that are forthcoming in our own lives.
It is a moment when the effects of the full moon are very much amplified, while the South Node of the moon is getting enlightened by the Sun, and the North Node, brings forth our deepest aspirations and intuitions toward our spiritual meaning in this life.
An eclipse of the moon in our dreams has to do with the mentalities and should only be interpreted in context with the rest of the dream; it could also be your souls way of telling you to keep your head in tense situations. This energy brings issues and situations into clarity and brings forth sudden endings… all for our greatest good.
Often eclipse energy instigates pushes us forward and gives us warnings of what is ahead. Eclipses can be challenging energy to navigate but they also reveal truths to us which forces us to grow and become more conscious, as we move forward in areas where we have been stuck. Eclipses are a dramatic and effective tool that Universe uses to create change.
On August 21, 2017, millions of people across the United States will see nature’s most wondrous spectacle — a Total Solar Eclipse. A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon completely blocks the Sun, revealing the Sun’s beautiful outer atmosphere known as the corona.
This is a rare, once-in-a-lifetime event for viewers in the United States. The last total solar eclipse visible in the continental United States occurred in 1979 and the next one will not take place until 2024.
The path of totality will begin in the Pacific Ocean and travel through the center of the United States. The total eclipse will be visible in parts of Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina before ending in the Atlantic Ocean. (A partial eclipse will be visible in most of North America and parts of northern South America.)
A solar eclipse occurs when the moon comes between the sun and the earth. This blocks the light of the sun from the earth.
A solar eclipse emphasizes new beginnings as they occur on the new moon. They may have a way of changing perspective. They can help you do things you never thought you could do. A solar eclipse is a very meaningful new moon. This makes this moon a time of dramatic change, both within and without.
Since the Sun and Moon are in the same zodiac sign, the energies of that sign are supersized. It’s a concentration that can greatly impact you.
Usually a new moon is often a restful atmosphere of quiet and darkness. A solar eclipse blocks the Sun, a symbol of radiating outward and conscious awareness, along with all worldly attributes. The Sun is vitality, personal will, making this a highly charged, yet internal moment. It’s how we see ourselves (identity), and our own shared reality.
Keeping A Lunar Journal
A Lunar Journal , is a great way to bring the power of your thoughts, good energy and a generous way to express your true insight on paper. This journal can be used for writing down situations and how you have experienced them. These journals are good places to record your outlook, your goals for achieving a path to your truths and your daily affirmation. It can allow you to look at that information later for understanding inspiration and guidance.
Creating Your Workbook
1. The moon goes through eight distinct phases. Four of these (new, full, waxing, waning) are particularly important when manifesting with the energetics of the lunar cycle.
2. You can divide your journal into 4 or 8 sections. It is a good idea to write key words associated with each section.
3. As the moon passes through each phase, write about your own perceptions and insights. Consider writing a paragraph or so about how you feel emotionally, key thoughts or anything unusual or unique that might have happened to you during this time.
4. When working with intuitive information , focus on an empty slate. Accept the process of receiving the information that comes in without judging or trying to understand it in the moment.
5. List what feelings you are holding on to. Are they negative or positive? Explain in your journal.
6. Now, learn about the power of the rhythm of these feelings. Do not assume anything. Write down each day, something new that you find as an instinctual action of doing, seeing, saying, hearing…
7. I feel it is important to keep a lunar journal for several months. This will give you a better, overall picture of how the rhythm of the moon plays a part in the cycles of YOUR life.
8. Learning to follow your intuition is essential to understanding what is at the root of all action. Find three things when interpreting your insight that makes it a stepping stone to the next level! List them now.
9. Be sure and write the time and day on the top of the page.
10. Make this journal your own! Buy or make a book that you are eager to go to each day. Use stickers, color, doodles that all express your journey to understanding yourself and others.
11. Consider keeping track of such things as your menstrual cycle, the fluctuation of your moods, emotions and libido. Write down any distinct dreams.
12. Understanding and developing more awareness of lunar cycles will help strengthen your connection to your divine and higher consciousness.
13. Now, lets take this to the next level. You probably know your sun sign (aries, leo, scorpio…) but do you know your moon sign?
14. The sign occupied by the Moon at your time of birth is your moon sign.
15. Moon signs define our emotions and make up the unconscious side of our personality.
16. If you do not know what sign the moon was in when YOU were born…. you can find out at https://www.peacefulmind.com.
17. The Vedic, Chinese and Celtic systems of astrology all use the moon as one of their most influential components in foretelling and forecasting.
18. As an exercise, you can write down your sun sign on the back pages of your journal. Then on the opposite side of the page, write down your moon sign. Under each sign, set up positive and negative trait aspects.
19. Then, look up your sign under each of the other astrological systems (Vedic, Chinese, Celtic). Make notes beneath your sun and moon sign columns.
20. This creates an amazing “profile” page about yourself to add to your journal. It is also great to look back on different traits and aspects of your personality.