by Andrew Pacholyk MS. L.Ac
The word “aura” is but another name for “forcefield” or “radiation.” An aura is a field of subtle, luminous energy surrounding a person or object. The aura has layers and they reflect our emotions as well as our health. Every substance in the universe has a radiation or aura and the auras of minerals, plants, animals, as well as human bodies have special characteristics.
The Aura can be seen in two distinct ways. One way is by actually training the eyes to see it (unless you are given the gift to see them) and the other way is with Kirlian photography. This is a photographic process that captures the auras or biofields of persons or objects within the photograph.
Kirlian photography is a collection of photographic techniques used to capture the phenomenon of electrical coronal discharges. It is named after Semyon Kirlian, who in 1939 accidentally discovered that if an object on a photographic plate is connected to a high-voltage source, an image is produced on the photographic plate. The technique has been variously known as “electrography”, “electrophotography”, “corona discharge photography” (CDP), “bioelectrography”, “gas discharge visualization (GDV)”,”electrophotonic imaging (EPI)” and, in Russian literature, “Kirlianography”.
Kirlian photography has been the subject of mainstream scientific research, parapsychology research and art. To a large extent, It has been used in alternative medicine research.
There seems to be no evidence that Kirlian photography is a paranormal phenomenon. Some experimenters think it reveals a physical form of psychic energy. Another theory is that it reveals the etheric body, one of the layers of the aura thought to permeate all animate objects.
Seeing the Aura
* Although not all people are aware of their aura-seeing ability, all of us sense auras through a combination of perceptions at the subconscious, instinctual level.
* Anyone can be taught to see an aura by squinting their eyes, blurring their vision in a dimly lit area.
* Raise your arm out, holding your hand in front of you. Now, simply move your hand slowly from left to right, back and forth while watching the energy above and around your hand that moves with it. This will give you a better sense of the amazing power, which generates from your source.
The Colors of the Aura
* The colors of the aura provide a guide in understanding our emotions, consciousness, energy processes and centers.
* Violet and white: symbolizes a vivid imagination, magic and a spiritual orientation towards life. It tells you that you are, or have the ability to be connected to the one consciousness. It is the highest and truest ability to be one with the spiritual, allow great insight, vision and clarity.
* Black is a color often shrouded in confusion. Many individuals shy away from Black or using Black, especially when using Color Therapy. Black is actually a protective color. It can be used to calm and ground extremely sensitive people. It activates the feminine or magnetic energies of the body, strengthening them. It should be used sparingly for too much Black can cause depression or aggravate emotional and mental conditions. Black is most effective when used in conjunction with White which balances the polarities of an individual. It can activate the level of the subconscious which can put life in it’s proper perspective.
A body that may have a Black Aura is usually a body without life. The light is gone from the body. Also remember, Black contains the entire color spectrum. It is just not visible to the human eye.
Reading the Aura
When reading an aura by sight or with Kirlian photography : * The right side, picture left of an aura photo: emphasizes the masculine energy. The recent past or that which is leaving you. This yang, active side expresses the personality one projects outward and how other people see us. The color on this side indicates the persona or how we project ourselves to others.
* Center and above the head of an aura photo: best expresses what you are experiencing right now. A band of different colors over the head expresses what the person ?hoping for, their goals and what their aspirations are.
* The left side, picture right of an aura photo: emphasizes the feminine energy. The near future or that which is coming into your life. This yin, receptive side, expresses the part of the personality that is more emotional, receives, feels, accepts, and imagines. The color on this side indicates what one is creating for themselves in the near future.
The Shape of the Aura
*If it is bright and extended widely around you, this means that you are feeling happy, optimistic and good about life.
*If it is dark and narrow, this could mean that you are depressed, ill, listless or afraid.
*If it is even on all sides, this means that you are well balanced and consistent.
*If you see gaps or holes in your aura, this usually symbolizes a loss or a will to let go of something significant.
Learn more about the energy of the Aura
1. Julie McCarron-Benson in Skeptical – a Handbook of Pseudoscience and the Paranormal, ed Donald Laycock, David Vernon, Colin Groves, Simon Brown, Imagecraft, Canberra, 1989, ISBN 0-7316-5794-2, p11
2. Konikiewicz, Leonard W. (1978). Introduction to electrography: A handbook for prospective researchers of the Kirlian effect in biomedicine. Leonard’s Associates.
3. Lane, Earle (1975). Electrophotography. And/Or Press (San Francisco).
4. a b c d Boyers, David G. & Tiller, William A. (1973). “Corona discharge photography”. Journal of Applied Physics 44 (7): 3102–3112. doi:10.1063/1.1662715.
5. Konikiewicz, Leonard W. and Griff, Leonard C. (1984). Bioelectrography, a new method for detecting cancer and monitoring body physiology. Leonard Associates Press (Harrisburg, PA).
6. Bankovskii, N. G.; Korotkov, K. G.; Petrov, N. N. (Apr 1986). “Physical processes of image formation during gas-discharge visualization (the Kirlian effect) (Review)”. Radiotekhnika i Elektronika 31: 625–643. Bibcode:1986RaEl…31..625B.
7. Wisneski, Leonard A. & Anderson, Lucy (2010). The Scientific Basis of Integrative Medicine. ISBN 978-1-4200-8290-6.