by Andrew Pacholyk MS L.Ac ~
It has been said “the way to a loved one’s heart is through their stomach“. This Valentine’s Day I’ve gathered some heart healthy foods to romance your loved one/s with and at the same time show them just how much you care.
Breakfast in Bed
Granola, Oatmeal with Red Goji Berries
Strawberries Side Car
2 sprigs of mint
1. Cut and clean berries and stack them in a fruit dish
2. Garnish with mint
3. Add dollop of yogurt or light whipped cream on top.
Juicy Valentine’s Squeeze
1. Peel the oranges, wash raspberries and cut the lime in half.
2. Toss oranges and raspberries into a blender or juicer.
3. Pour into juice glass, with a squeeze of lime.
8 ounces semisweet chocolate
1 teaspoon oil (canola, sunflower, safflower)
2 cups walnuts or almonds
1. Line baking sheet with waxed paper.
2. Melt chocolates and oil in top of double boiler over barely simmering water,
stirring frequently, until smooth.
3. Add nuts and mix until coated
4. Drop by small tablespoons onto waxed paper.
5. Chill in refrigerator until firm.
6. Serve directly from refrigerator.
Heart Healthy Love Cupcakes
Combine: flour, stevia, baking soda in medium bowl. Add: water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Beat with mixer, wire whisk or spoon until batter is smooth. Pour into paper-lined muffin tins, filling each 2/3 full. Bake at 375 degrees for 16 to 18 minutes.
Combine stevia and water in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, until mixture comes to a boil.
Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy. While beating, slowly pour hot water mix in a thin stream over egg whites. If you are using a mixer, turn mixer to high speed; continue beating until stiff peaks form and frosting is thick enough to spread. Add food coloring; beat until blended. Spread on cake immediately. Use a heart-shaped cookie mold and press into icing. As an alternative, you can use candy hearts and press them into the icing, once all the cupcakes are done. Enjoy!
Dinner for Two
Seasoned Crusted Salmon
4 salmon filets (4-6 oz. each)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons chopped pecans
1 teaspoon parsley
Wedges of fresh lemon
1. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Place skin side down on baking sheet.
2. Combine mustard and honey, brush on top of salmon.
3. Mix topping of breadcrumbs, nuts, and parsley and sprinkle over salmon.
4. Bake at 400 degrees 10-15 minutes or until flaky. Serve with wedges of fresh
Vegetable Love Medley
2 tablespoons water
1 cut thinly sliced zucchini
1 cup thinly sliced yellow squash
1 small carrot thinly sliced
1/2 medium green pepper, cut into strips
1 celery stalk cut into 2-inch strips
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/8 teaspoon dillweed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 medium tomato, cut into 8 wedges
1. Heat water in large fry pan. Add zucchini, squash, green pepper, celery and
2. Cover and cook over moderate heat until vegetables are tender- crisp, about 3
3. Sprinkle seasoning over vegetables. Top with tomato wedges.
4. Cover and cook over low heat until tomato wedges are just heated, about 2
1 sliced pomegranate
1/2 cup fresh fruit (think red or black berries)
1/2 cup low-fat or regular yogurt (flavor of your choice)
1/8 cup low-fat granola
Layer the different ingredients in a parfait glass and repeat layers.