by Andrew Pacholyk MS L.Ac
Making a sacred space of your own, whether it be an alter, meditation space, area for your crystal treasures or just room for you to breath, can be a fun and exciting choice.
1. First, find a space to use on a regular basis for “your” space. Doing this, conditions your mind to become familiar and therefore feel relaxed once you are in the space, as it allows you to ascend. In time, just sitting in your space will immediately relax you.
Your space can be a small area in your home where you can sit with your eyes closed for at least a few minutes each day. Choose a clean, quiet place away from all distractions where you can sit on a chair or on the floor. If you use a chair, choose one that allows you to keep your back as straight as possible. If you sit on the floor, you may want to lean your back against something so that you can keep it straight.
2. Whatever area you choose to use, you first want to cleanse/clear that space.
Space clearing can be done on a physical level by decluttering your surroundings. It can also be done on a metaphysical level with such tools as herbs, salts, crystals, incense, oils and yes, intention.
The power of (halite crystal) sea salt is a safe and effective way to clear and cleanse any space of negative energy. Sea salt is obtained by evaporating seawater. Energy in itself, is the vital source, which radiates from everything and everyone around us. When we are ill, emotionally upset, angered or imbalanced, our moods and of course, our energy is altered. Coming in contact with energy that is negative can often be sensed, even felt. The result is often a feeling of uneasiness, confusion or an opposed feeling to our current state of mind. Cleansing with sea salt or rock salt is preferred over iodized, processed table salt.
Cleansing a room with salt can be done by placing salt in small bowls and placing them in the 4 corners for 24 hours. Take two teaspoons of sea salt and dissolve it into some warm water. Pour it into a mister or spray bottle and spray it wherever you need cleansing.
Adding herbs or essential oils to sea salt can give an added bonus to cleansing. Herbs such as lavender, sandalwood, tea tree, thyme, and rosemary are all good compliments. When using herbs, place them in the salt and shake the salt in a closed container. This bruises the herbs and allows its essential oils to incorporate into the salt matrix. When using essential oils, add a few drops to salt and then stir or shake the salt in order to mix them well. Misting yourself for an overall clearing can do cleansing of negative vibes. Draw a bath. As the hot water is filling the tube, add two or more tablespoons of sea salt to the running water and stir it so it dissolves in the tube. Relax in your bath for 15-20 minutes.
3. For a few days just sit quietly in your space for five to ten minutes. This will help establish your energy.
4. Before you sit, consider using the following “tools” to help increase your intention for the space.
a.) You may light a candle or some incense, if you like. Eventually, lighting the candle or incense will signal your brain that it’s time for “sacred time”.
b.) Place in your space only items you absolutely love unconditionally. Do not place it there just because you think it belongs there. These “tools” should be items that empower you, give you strength, energy and allow you to feel good.
c.) Add your most special crystals into your space. You can create a border with them or design an area or “cluster” just for them.
d.) Remember, this is a living breathing space, so any items that served you this day, may not serve you tomorrow. So feel free to bring into your space different items (or crystals) that work for your that day.
e.) Now, sprinkle with intention. Intention is a tool that can be used to bring about change. With clear intent, we formulate a greater deliberateness in order to achieve the end result.
The Map of Intention
When you break down the process of what true intention really is, you will find a process that unfolds before you. By applying this process, you create your intention. Here is how you map out your intentions:
1. Have purpose: Your reason behind your intention is purpose. Having a purpose infers a more determined path.
2. Design your intent: This suggests a more careful, laid out and calculated plan of action. What, when, why where, how.
3. Improve your aim: By improving your aim, you add to your implications or target effort directed toward attaining your intention.
4. Gain your objective: Create a clear objective by aiming for something tangible and immediately attainable.
5. Reach your goal: The goal is the result of your intention, put into action and attaining it by thought out effort and un-waiving focus.
You have now created your sacred space. Bring to it what you want. Use it for what it is and allow it to remain sacred.